Ministry of Science announces successful development of first dengue vaccine
21-Dec-2011 | News-Press Release
Biotech NSTDA, Chiang Mai University and Mahidol University together announced the successful development of a dengue vaccine, the first of this kind in the world. Following the achievement, they signed an authorization for Bionedd-Asia to develop a dengue vaccine in the near future.
On February 21st 2011, Dr. Weerachai Weerametheekul, the minister of Science and Technology, with Dr. Thaweesak Koanathakul, of the National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA), the presidents of Chiang Mai and Mahidol universities, announced publicly this important breakthrough and the agreement to develop and produce a dengue vaccine to protect the people of the world.
The project to develop a dengue vaccine was initiated in 2000 by Assoc. Professor Dr. Nopporn Sitthisombat, and Dr. Poonsuk Keelapang of Chiang Mai University and the Network Technology of Biomedical Sciences Research Unit, Department of Genetic Engineering and Technology, and research teams of Mahidol University led by Assoc. Professor Dr. Suthee Yoksan . Together, they have successfully created and tested four serotypes of the dengue vaccine Chemeric Live - attenceated.
Dengue has been a major killer, and after more than 30 years of rigorous development of a dengue vaccine to combat the four strains to prevent being subjected to recurring infections Thus, this new vaccine will be an important medication to prevent epidemics from occurring.
This release was submitted by a Newsbox user.
Any communication related to the content of this release should be sent to the release submitter.
- TAT Launches iPhone Application for ThailandMedTourism.com
- Thai doctors find Etawanlisepriyong beneficial for treating pain
- Thailand Medical Tourism Guidebook Released by TAT & MasterCard®
- Shopping in Thailand – Well Worth the Trip!
- Halal Food in Thailand – Certified Tasty
- TAT expands social media marketing, launches "Smile Land" games
- VISA and the Tourism Authority of Thailand Join Hands to Host the 2011 Amazing Thailand Grand Sale
- Samui Thailand Ready to Welcome Tourists Back