- Ethan Miller
- Miller & Miller Auctions, Ltd.
- Send Email to Press Contact
- Request High Res Image
Miller & Miller will Hold an Internet-Only Advertising & Breweriana Auction, 650 Lots, on June 19th
04-Jun-2021 | New Hamburg | News-Press Release
New Hamburg, Ontario, Canada, June 4, 2021 -- An important Black Cat Shoe Polish clock (known to collectors simply as "The Black Cat Clock"), a 4 foot by 8 foot circa 1938 porcelain sign for Orange Crush soda, and an early 20th century Kuntz Brewery "Bologna Girl" lithographed tin beer tray are just a few of the expected highlights in Miller & Miller Auctions, Ltd.'s upcoming online-only Advertising & Breweriana sale slated for Saturday, June 19th at 9 am Eastern time.
The 650-lot sale will be headlined by the Peter Rea collection. "Fans of breweriana will quickly recognize that 'condition' is the common thread in what Peter Rea collected," said Ethan Miller of Miller & Miller Auctions, Ltd. "Never have I met a collector so focused on perfection."
Mr. Miller added, "We're also featuring an outstanding cache of general store advertising that ranges from overalls to soda. It's clean, fresh to the market and offered without reserve. Original, unrestored advertising is hard to find these days. In this sale, collectors will have their pick."
Categories will include advertising signs, advertising tins, breweriana, stoneware, automobilia, general store, tobacciana, railroadiana and more. Internet bidding will be facilitated by LiveAuctioneers.com and the Miller & Miller website, www.MillerandMillerAuctions.com. Bidders will be able to tune in to the live webcast on June 19th to watch lots close in real time.
With a robust pre-sale estimate of $9,000-$12,000, the Black Cat Shoe Polish clock may end up being the top lot of the auction. It's considered one of the most significant examples of Canadian advertising ever produced. The piece depicts a black cat, its jaws and whiskers erect, engaging with the product in pursuit of something beyond. It boasts, "Leads all others / Challenge the world to produce its superior" and is marked lower left, "MacDonald Mfg. Co. Ltd., Toronto".
All estimates quoted in this report are in Canadian dollars.
The circa 1938 Orange Crush porcelain sign, although not marked, is certainly a product of St. Thomas Metal Signs, Ltd. (Canada). The store side sign is made from self-framed heavy-gauge pressed steel with heavy-shelved porcelain. The script reads, "For Refreshment Drink Orange Crush". The seldom seen sign, not a common Coca-Cola variation, should bring $4,500-$6,500.
The Kuntz Brewery beer tray is among Canada's most sought-after beer trays. It earned the nickname "The Bologna Girl" because the subject, a young woman, is shown serving a bologna sandwich alongside a bottle of Kuntz Export Lager. The tray, 13 ¾ inches in diameter, is marked, "Kaufmann & Strauss Co. N.Y." It carries a pre-sale estimate of $4,000-$6,000.
A Peabody's Overalls single-sided porcelain sign from the 1910s ("Wears like a pig's nose"), considered one of Canada's great general store porcelain signs, 15 ¼ inches by 48 inches, with the Peabody's crown (symbolizing "Railroad King") should finish at $3,500-$5,000. Also, an 1890s Ogilvie's Flour Mills framed paper lithograph under glass, with detailed images of Ogilvie's five operational flour mills in Canada, is expected to hammer for $3,000-$5,000.
To learn more about Miller & Miller Auctions, Ltd. and the Advertising & Breweriana auction scheduled for Saturday, June 19th at 9 am Eastern time, please visit www.MillerandMillerAuctions.com. Updates are posted frequently.
This release was submitted by a PRSafe user.
Any communication related to the content of this release should be sent to the release submitter.
- MRHB DeFi and Coinsbit India Partner to Bring Halal Crypto to India's 200 Million Muslims
- BTI’s Jarrod Rohlfing Receives Certification from HazMat University
- Miller & Miller's Online Auctions Sept. 11-12 will Feature Toys, Nostalgia, Breweriana, Advertising
- South Coast Improvement Completes First Phase of Housing Conversion Project at Serenity Brewster
- Autographed Madrigals of Torquato Tasso to Carlo Gesualdo by The Italian Diego Perotti
- Rare American Flyer G. Fox & Co. S Gauge Toy Boxcar Train Chugs off for $18,975 in Weiss Auctions' Toy & Train Auction
- AMI Healthcare and GAD International Announce Hospital Management Partnership
- Teachers Reunite in Celebration of National Wellness Month Before Returning to In-Person Instruction
- Fragments of Early Levi Jeans from The 1880s Sell for $10,312 in Holabird Auction Held August 5-9
- A Healthy Future Can Be Achieved - BUT it is up to us