Coal-fired Power Plants Harm Public Health
08-Mar-2011 | News-Press Release
Coal-fired power plants produce more hazardous air pollution in the United States than any other industrial pollution sources
Hazardous air pollutant emissions from coal-fired power plants can travel 150 to 300 miles in a day
Acid gases irritate and damage the lung tissues, impacting breathing and lung function in people living near the plants
Your help is needed today. Hazardous air pollutants from power plants threaten lives and health. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) draft proposal to clean up toxic air pollution is being reviewed at the White House this week. Tell President Obama to direct the EPA to set stricter toxic pollution standards.
The American Lung Association just released Toxic Air: The Case for Cleaning Up Coal-fired Power Plants, a new report that documents the range of hazardous air pollutants emitted from power plants and the urgent need to clean them up. Our health is at stake.
Arsenic, lead, formaldehyde, hydrogen chloride, mercury, and dioxins are just some of the 84 toxins coming out of these plants. EPA should close the "toxic loophole" that has allowed coal burning power plants to operate without any federal limits on emissions of these dangerous pollutants. Technology exists today that can remove air toxics emitted by coal-burning power plants.
Urge the President to cleanup toxic air pollution TODAY!
Vice President, National Policy and Advocacy
American Lung Association
This release was submitted by a Newsbox user.
Any communication related to the content of this release should be sent to the release submitter.
- ipsum lipsum l
- G5 Reports 500% increase in Game Downloads
- comScore Releases the “2012 Canada Digital Future in Focus” Report
- comScore Releases December 2011 U.S. Online Video Rankings
- Stand O'Food 3 From G5 Entertainment is Now Out On Kindle Fire
- comScore Introduces Validated Campaign Essentials™ (vCE)
- cVidya MoneyMap® is the First Revenue Assurance Product to Receive TM Forum’s Product Conformance Certification
- RRSAT LAUNCHES SECOND DVB-S2 PLATFORM ON MEASAT-3a
- BulkyPix Releases Android Hit GRave Defense HD on iPhone Halloween Monday
- Sword of the Stars II Blasts Off into Space!