The Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act Set to Expire on Dec 31 2012 - Ty Leon-Guerrero of Team1Realty Fairfield, CA
22-Jun-2012 | News-Press Release
Property owners in Alameda, Contra Costa, Sonoma, Solano and Napa Counties facing foreclosure and thinking about doing a short sale might want to hurry up. The time is limited for homeowners who want to ensure they aren’t hit with a big tax bill because they had to walk away from a mortgage obligation. The Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act is set to expire on December 31, 2012.
The Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act was introduced in Congress on September 25, 2007, and became law on December 20, 2007. This act generally allows taxpayers to exclude income from the discharge of debt on their principal residence. This act offered relief to homeowners who would formerly owe taxes on forgiven mortgage debt after facing foreclosure.
The Mortgage Forgiveness and Debt Relief Act applies to debt forgiven in calendar years 2007 through 2012. It has not yet been determined if the Mortgage Forgiveness Act will be extended past 2012.
In summary, the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act states that if you borrow money (up to $2 million dollars) from a bank or a commercial lender and the lender cancels or forgives the debt (a.k.a. Short Sale) then you are not responsible for paying taxes on the forgiven amount. This applies only to primary residences, NOT investment properties.
Upon the completion of a successful short sale transaction, your bank is required by law to provide the IRS with a Form 1099-C. The 1099-C will show the IRS the amount of debt which was cancelled or forgiven. Before December 20, 2007, (this is the date which the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief was enacted) the amount of forgiven debt was considered to be taxable income. This is no longer the case for primary residences; however, all this could change if the Mortgage Forgiveness Act is not extended. Please click the attached link to view the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act as it appears on the IRS web site (click link) http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=179414,00.html
Team1realty.com is your Home and Land Specialist. Our role as real estate agents is to guide you through the buying or selling process, taking the time to make sure you understand every step of the transaction. So, if you are having difficulty in paying mortgage and wants to know your options to avoid foreclosure or have any questions on short sale then call us directly at 800-533-7107.
Team1realty.com is your Home and Land Specialist. Ty Leon-Guerrero is the Broker/Owner of Team1Realty. Search all MLS real estate homes for sale in Solano County, Napa County, Contra Costa County, Sonoma County, Sacramento County plus foreclosures, condos and short sale listings, stop foreclosure, avoid foreclosure, short sale help.
Ty Leon Guerrero
Real Estate Expert at Team1Realty
Fairfield, CA 94533
Website URL: http://www.team1realty.com/
This release was submitted by a PRSafe user.
Any communication related to the content of this release should be sent to the release submitter.
- Alamedaavoid foreclosureContra Costahomes for saleMortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief ActNapa CountyReal Estateshort saleshort sale expertsSolano CountySonoma CountyTeam1Realty
- Antioch, CA homeowners facing Foreclosure have options - Ty Leon-Guerrero Your Short Sale Expert
- Antioch, CA Home Short Sale Expert Ty Leon Guerrero explains the Short Sale Process
- Ty Leon-Guerrero – Short Sale Expert Serving Napa County, CA Publishes eBook on Short Sale Process
- FHFA Speeds Up Short Sale Process - Ty Leon Guerrero, Real Estate Expert of Team1Realty, Fairfield CA
- Napa County, CA Home Short Sale Expert Ty Leon Guerrero explains the Short Sale Process
- Alameda County, CA Homeowners Facing Foreclosure must know about Short Sale ! What is a Short Sale?
- Ty Leon Guerrero – Short Sale Expert serving Alameda County,CA publishes eBook on Short Sale Process
- Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives Program Extended Thru 2013 – Team1Realty of Fairfield, CA
- Alameda County, CA Home Short Sale Expert Ty Leon Guerrero Explains the Short Sale Process
- FHFA Speeds Up Short Sale Process - Ty Leon Guerrero of Team1Realty, Fairfield CA