Union Pacific Publishes 2010 Sustainability and Citizenship Report
06-Jun-2011 | News-Press Release
Union Pacific today published its second annual Sustainability and Citizenship Report highlighting the company’s commitment to environmental stewardship, safety, employee training and development, customer and community support, shareholder value, and the highest standards of corporate governance and ethics.
“For nearly 150 years, Union Pacific has helped connect a continent and transport the products America needs,” said Robert W. Turner, senior vice president - Corporate Relations. “Today, we provide global transportation solutions by moving goods for the import and export markets.
“Our success is attributed to the hard work and dedication of our employees, communicating with stakeholders and delivering value for customers. We continuously strive to improve the ways we protect the environment, serve as an employer of choice, provide great customer service and deliver shareholder results.”
Following are highlights of Union Pacific’s 2010 Sustainability and Citizenship Report.
• The company announced a fuel consumption rate reduction goal of 1 percent annually from 2011 to 2015, as measured on a gross-ton mile basis. Attaining this goal would represent a 23 percent fuel-efficiency improvement since 2000.
• The railroad reduced its greenhouse gas emissions rate from locomotives by 3 percent on a gross-ton mile basis compared to 2009.
• Union Pacific improved fuel efficiency by 3 percent, saving more than 27 million gallons of diesel fuel compared to 2009.
• Employees recorded the safest year in company history with a 1.37 reportable injury rate, a 6 percent improvement over 2009.
• The company conducted more than 7,300 safety outreach and training events, reaching more than 450,000 people.
• Union Pacific donated more than $14 million and supported more than 2,500 nonprofits through a combination of Union Pacific Foundation, matching gifts and corporate contributions.
• The railroad delivered record earnings per share, operating income, net income and operating ratio.
• The company earned an all-time best customer satisfaction score.
In formulating its 2010 Sustainability and Citizenship Report, Union Pacific considered the Global Reporting Initiative’s 2006 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines, which provide a standard framework and guidance for organizations to report on their sustainability performance.
About Union Pacific
Union Pacific Corporation owns one of America's leading transportation companies. Its principal operating company, Union Pacific Railroad, links 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country. Union Pacific serves many of the fastest-growing U.S. population centers and provides Americans with a fuel-efficient, environmentally responsible and safe mode of freight transportation. Union Pacific's diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Energy, Industrial Products and Intermodal. The railroad emphasizes excellent customer service and offers competitive routes from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways. Union Pacific connects with Canada's rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major gateways to Mexico, making it North America's premier rail franchise.
# # #
Media contact: Tom Lange at (402) 544-3560 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This release was submitted by a Newsbox user.
Any communication related to the content of this release should be sent to the release submitter.
- ipsum lipsum l
- G5 Reports 500% increase in Game Downloads
- comScore Releases the “2012 Canada Digital Future in Focus” Report
- comScore Releases December 2011 U.S. Online Video Rankings
- Stand O'Food 3 From G5 Entertainment is Now Out On Kindle Fire
- comScore Introduces Validated Campaign Essentials™ (vCE)
- cVidya MoneyMap® is the First Revenue Assurance Product to Receive TM Forum’s Product Conformance Certification
- RRSAT LAUNCHES SECOND DVB-S2 PLATFORM ON MEASAT-3a
- BulkyPix Releases Android Hit GRave Defense HD on iPhone Halloween Monday
- Sword of the Stars II Blasts Off into Space!