ReportsnReports.com: Pet Care in Slovakia
14-Dec-2011 | News-Press Release
Moderate growth of pet food
Pet Care in Slovakia – The overall pet care market grew moderately in 2011 in current value terms compared with the previous year. The number of dog and cat owners feeding their pets prepared food is increasing. With busy lifestyles pet owners want to feed their pets properly and quickly to spare time to care for their pet’s physical and psychological well-being. The range of pet food and pet care products on offer is becoming wider and more sophisticated. However, unlike in developed European countries, the percentage share of prepared food relative to the cat and dog population is low. Consequently, the potential for volume and value growth is promising.
Cats less common than dogs but becoming more popular
Dog food accounted for the majority of value sales in 2011. The number of dogs in Slovakia is almost four times larger than the number of cats. Cats are popular with retired single people (mostly women) and 2-person households without children. Those in the latter group have busy lifestyles and tend to work late, and consequently do not have time to walk a dog regularly.
Browse All: Consumer Goods Market Research
Multinationals dominate but domestic brands gain attention
Dog and cat food remained relatively consolidated in 2011, with the top four producers accounting for just over half of total value sales. The leading multinationals – Mars SK and Nestlé Slovensko sro – enjoyed a significant share of sales thanks to early entry, wide product portfolios and strong advertising. Successful domestic companies include Ani-pet spol sro and Akvarium Kobolka sro. The leading brands lost some share to private label products in 2011.
Multiples lead but pet shops remain popular
Pet shops represented the leading distribution channel for dog and cat food in 2011. In other pet food and pet care products, pet shops remained the most important distribution outlets as well. Pet shops are still very popular with pet owners as they employ staff that can give advice and make recommendations. Pet superstores in shopping centres (Pet Center is one of the leading chains) are becoming popular thanks to their special price offers and discounts. Second position is held by supermarkets/hypermarkets with 34% market share.
Growth expected over forecast period
The Slovakia pet care market is expected to continue to grow moderately over the forecast period. The number of pet owners will continue to rise steadily, as will demand for high quality products. In particular, pet owners living in urban areas will become more interested in premium and super-premium products. Growth over the forecast period will continue to be driven by dog and cat food.
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/marketsreports
Our Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ReportsnReports/191441427571689
7557 Rambler road,
Tel: + 1 888 391 5441
This release was submitted by a PRSafe user.
Any communication related to the content of this release should be sent to the release submitter.
- Slovakia Pet Care MarketConsumer Goods Market Research Reportsmarket researchindustry analysismarket share
- Vitamins and Provitamins - Top 5 European Markets
- 2012 Deep Research Report on China Special Steel Industry
- ReportsnReports: Emerging Opportunities and Growth Prospects in the Mexican Travel Intermediaries Industry, Analyses and Forecasts to 2016
- ReportsnReports - The Future of Italian Foodservice Industry to 2016
- ReportsnReports: Germany – The Future of HNWIs to 2016: Wealth in the Powerhouse of Europe
- ReportsnReports: 2012 Deep Research Report on China PV Power Station Operator
- ReportsnReports: The Future of Retailing in Chile to 2016
- ReportsnReports: Global Markets for Media, Sera and Reagents in Biotechnology
- ReportsnReports: Amusement Park Foodservice Trends in the U.S.
- ReportsnReports - Battery Control Technology: Global Markets